Tuesday, March 23, 2010

CAR WASH FREAK OUT

Before you start reading this, I have to warn you about something. For a lot of New Yorker's, this post will not make ANY sense, for to find yourself in this situation, you have to be driving a motor vehicle (preferably one with a roof). However, I know a lot of other people have been in this situation, which is why I felt compelled to write about it. Feel like reading on? Good for you!

So last weekend, my girlfriend and I (yes, yes, I know half of our readership is absolutely CRUSHED right now) were driving into Hoboken and we thought 'hey, it's a nice day, let's get the car washed.' For some reason, sunny days and car washes just seem to go together. It's not even like I always have had nice cars that needed washing - actually I NEVER had a nice car that I would even contemplate spending money on for a wash. Believe me, you don't feel too cool rollin' up to the local Soap and Suds in a '88 Mercury Tracer or a '94 Honda Civic.

However, my girlfriend has a pretty nice car, and I'm not gonna lie, washing cars is kinda fun. But Hoboken doesn't have one of those do-it-yourself car washes. The only one within driving distance is one of those places where you stay in your car and it goes through a whirlwind of flashing lights and foamy goodness. However, it's the end of the car wash which is a completely different story.

We're pulling up to the car wash, and I see a shiny new Lexus pull out of the machine. I immediately was impressed with this place's wash capabilities and couldn't wait for my turn. But as quick as you can blink your eyes, there were about 9-10 guys IMMEDIATELY wiping down the car with basically any towel-resembling item they could find. I'm not even joking when I say it took about 4 seconds for them to to dry the car - that's how many of them there were.

I freaked, and who could blame me? WHO WERE THEY? WHERE DID THE COME FROM?! It was like they hopped out of the Magic School Bus for a lesson on water absorption. I didn't know what to do. Do I get out of the car? Do I open the window? Do I say hi? Do I drive away as fast as possible? The guy in the Lexus being dried seemed like he was in complete control of the situation, but I didn't want any part of it. I swiftly pulled an illegal U-Turn and went for some very-less-stressful Italian ice (strawberry cheesecake cream ice to be exact - delicious).

Now, what IF I had stayed? Ladies and Gentlemen...I ask of you:

Am I supposed to tip the car wash dryer guys?

1 comment:

  1. Alright, all you people saying I should have tipped? Which one do I tip?!!

    AH HA! You don't know either do you?

    ReplyDelete