Wednesday, February 17, 2010

BARRY AND AMJAD'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE

So I was heading home from work a few weeks ago, and it was pouring outside. I hailed a cab (I'm absolutely spectacular at hailing cabs. Rain, snow, crowds - no matter. I see that little light on top and pounce like a cheetah) and headed uptown to my apartment.

From work to home is maybe a 10 minute ride. The heavy rain should slow my cab driver Amjad down, but he was speeding up 6th Ave like he was James Marsden or something. Meanwhile, I'm in the backseat kiiiiiinda freaking out - with good reason - we're near 80mph (please note, I'm a terrible guesstimator) and he wants to go faster!

About 7 seconds later, my man Amjad wanted to switch lanes. Unfortunately, another driver had the same idea, and BAM! Not a terrible accident (I'M FINE THANKS FOR ASKING), but lets just say that nifty plexiglas did its part. By now, Amjad is yelling what I imagine was some seriously foul language before turning around to check on me (YES AMJAD, I'M FINE THANKS FOR ASKING). He then throws this one at me: "So, so sorry about that other cab, crazy driver. That will be $3.80"

In my shaken state, I couldn't even fathom arguing with the man. I gave Amjad $4 and got out before I realized what I'd done. I look up and I'm at 6th Ave and Downing St. Where is that, you ask? NOWHERE CLOSE TO MY APARTMENT, THAT'S WHERE. He took me a whopping 6 blocks! As I'm getting rained on staring at these two gentleman cabbies scream at each other, I started chatting with some tall guy who got out of the other cab from the accident:

Me: Man, what a mess
Tall Stranger: Yeah, luckily I'm only a block away, and hey, free cab ride.
Me: Oh nice, lucky. Wait, what? Free cab ride?
Tall Stranger: Yeah, free. He got in a crash when I was in the cab... You paid?
Me: Yeah... I'm like 30 blocks away still.
Tall, Smug Stranger: Oh.. sucker.

OK, tall stranger didn't call me a sucker. But I could TOTALLY see the smugness in his eyes.

Anyway voters, we ask you this...

Am I supposed to pay that cab driver when he gets in a crash, be it a mere fender bender?


1 comment:

  1. You need another option for whether or not it was your cab driver’s fault.  Someone hit my cab once and I paid him because it completely wasn’t his fault and it’s clear he was having a bad enough day.  My cab got pulled over once with me in it and tried to a. blame me for the traffic violation and then b. request I paid him the $10 I owed him as I got out of his cab to look for another one.  I wasn’t about to do that but lucky for me I had NYPD’s finest standing up for me.

    ReplyDelete