Monday, September 20, 2010

ERIC'S BETRAYAL!

So as you know, we're like totally the experts on tipping situations. Granted most of the time we're the ones asking you what to do... but in this day and age, I'm pretty sure having a blog on anything qualifies you as an expert. And yet, there are weirdo's out there who still go to other people for their tipping advice... Like this guy, named "Eric" who wrote into the stupid popular blog Consumerist with this story:

"I was visiting Charleston, SC, and wanted a semi-healthy snack around 5pm to tide me over because I had dinner plans for nine that night. I walked into a local coffee house, and proceeded to order a strawberry and banana smoothie. Much to my chagrin, the barista had me pay before he made the smoothie, but this was only mildly annoying and I didn't challenge it. He waited to ring me up before making the smoothie, so as I was filling out the receipt, I knew he would see whether or not I had left a tip. Part of me wondered if my tip at that time was going to affect how good my smoothie is, which ordinarily should be the other way around. I decided to leave no tip out of principle, assuming that the coffeehouse was personally trying to influence tips by that tactic. He might have not cared at all, and the smoothie wasn't horrible, but it was an odd experience."

First of all guy, yawn. I mean, you throw a snooty barista in there and assume its a good story? I need action, adventure! A plot twist here, a damsel in distress there! Just give me something to keep me interested. Aint frankly, some BS about you going on a late date just ain't cutting it.

Second, poor form move writing in to Consumerist. DANNY AND I ARE THE TIP GUYS! But whatever... I'm assuming due to our sabbatical, you just figured we wouldn't get back to you in ample time. WRONG AGAIN ERIC. And even though you didn't actually ask for our opinion... I'm gonna give it anyway. Because the world needs more of my opinion.

So you got a receipt before your food is made... well Eric, that kinda thing actually happens a lot. In all honesty, he probably rang you up first because it seems like it would just be easier that way... I'm assuming he was already standing next to the cash register when he took your order. So in his opinion, why not ring you up then? Also, by the way you told the story I'm also assuming you paid by credit card. And what do all credit card receipts have on them, regardless of where you are? A TIP LINE! Sorry dude... its not some massive conspiracy against you. Had you whipped out a $10 bill, its not like the guy was going to stand on the counter and shake the tip jar in your face (can't be sure though, people who work at coffeehouses are friggin' weird).

But back to the matter at hand. No, you definitely don't have to tip. If you're making some kind of weird smoothie that he has to do extra work for, you might throw him another buck... but if its on the menu and simple enough, don't worry about it.

In the end, ERIC... it's actually not an odd experience. Its a pretty normal experience. So here's some advice for you. Next time you want to write into a real website, get a decent question and a half-interesting story. Then seek out the true experts, the ones in the trenches everyday, the guys who help the world to solve their greatest tipping conundrums.

PS - My favorite part of the whole story is you assume the barista was trying to squeeze a tip out of you with "that tactic"... like the extra dollar he miiiiight get out of you, divided between all the baristas and managers and janitors and anyone else working in the store, is going to make his day. In all honesty, he was probably just trying to give you a hard time for ordering a stupid Strawberry and Banana smoothie at a coffeehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment